1.15.2009

inclusion

I've been thinking about something now for about 2 weeks. I (I guess I could say we, for most of the people that read this blog) have a friend who, in my observation, believes their sole job in the world is to make everyone around them feel included. This is by no means a bad thing, and something that I want to strive to do more of.

For example, there was a group of people having a conversation, in which this person was a part. I walked up to the group late, kind of standing on the outside of the circle, just listening in. This person backed up to make a spot for me to enter said circle.

Now, for some people, this may not have meant much, but it made a huge impact on me for some reason that night. To see that this person was conscious of everyone around them, and to see them extend that invitation, verbal or not, made me feel welcome and immediately accepted.

I wanna make moves to be more like that, to let everyone know that they hold worth in my eyes. To let them know that they are an equal.

No comments: